Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A Vegan Perspective



Expectations as a vegan can become (I don't want to say LOW) but simplified over time. Yesterday my husband and I were at the Oakland airport and I knew I better eat something before our flight because of the unpredictable pregnant appetite I have. I think I am not hungry, then 10 minutes later I am dizzy with hunger. We decided on Mexican food from 360. I saw the word VEGAN next to a mixed veggie burrito on the menu. I immediately just decided that is what I should get because the actual word VEGAN was up on the board! Then I started looking around and noticed that there were smoked tofu salads, quesadillas (not vegan obviously), and more. I reminded myself that mixed veggie burritos usually SUCK because I just don't like squash, zucchini and bell peppers. What a mushy mix of bitter junk. So I decided on the rice and bean burrito with tofu and guacamole. I was shocked at how yummy the 'rita tasted. The tofu was well seasoned, the guac had bite, and there wasn't too much onion in the salsa. I hate tasting my burrito for the rest of the day because of those damn onions! Its sad because I LOVE salsa.



We are staying at the Four Seasons for a couple of days in Scottsdale on business. I am sitting in my hotel room satiated after enjoying the following: old-fashioned oatmeal with dried berries, fresh strawberries and blueberries, and a huge soy latte. I was worried when I woke up about getting a proper coffee. I didn't see soy milk on the menu so I thought I would ask and heck yes they had it. You know when you get room service, you dread getting the meal because you just KNOW its gonna be mushy and cold. Well, not at the Four Seasons! Its super cold here right now so I thought for sure I would be eating lukewarm oatmeal. It was piping hot, and my latte was even hotter! Simple pleasures, I tell ya! I will have to see what choices I have when it comes to food at dinner tonight with some of the lovely spouses I met last night.



One more thing, if you are looking for a spectacular chocolate chip cookie recipe, look no further. New Classics by Moosewood Restaurant
Replace the eggs with egg replacer
& use dark/vegan chocolate chips (I like Ghiradelli or Scharffen berger) and use soy margarine or soy butter.
Oh my, I cannot tell you how tasty these are right out of the oven AND the next couple of days (if they last that long!)

No comments: